Man On The Moon

Welcome to the blog about a day in the life of a film student!

"And That's The Truth, Ruth!"

Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Recap and why "Slumdog" is overrated

Last night at the 81st Academy Awards saw the movie Slumdog Millionaire pick up the award for best picture among numerous other awards. This movie has been gaining a lot of buzz and momentum all year long and everyone seems to be in awe over this film. Now, I don't mean to be a snobby film student here but I do think this movie was overrated. I think that the hype kept getting built up and it is at such a high that when people watch it they feel like it is a great movie just because of the reputation that preceded it. For most people this is one of the few movies they have seen that have been produced outside of Hollywood and by talking about how they saw it and loved it makes them appear cultured and educated. However, "Slumdog" was a very good film, I just don't feel it was best picture worthy. I think it's win was a product of hype and buzz. It deserved the technical awards it won such as sound and cinematography, it was a very beautifuly shot film. I just don't think it was the best overall film of the year. Later this week I will post my top movies of 2008. But for now, thoughts on the Oscars?

4 comments:

Emily I. said...

THANK YOU!
This is exactly how I felt...honestly, don't get me wrong it was a really good movie! But def. too much hype...and it wasnt 20 million oscars good!...I still think Buttons deserved best picture...what an incredible movie that was!

Emily I. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Sham said...

What film do you think deserved the Best Picture category?

@Emlocks
I disagree that Benjamin Button deserved best picture. From the nominations, I saw Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire. But between those two, I would say Slumdog Millionaire deserved it. I think Slumdog connected with people in a way that Benjamin Button does not. I cared about the characters in Slumdog. While Benjamin Button was a well-crafted story, but I didn't connect with the characters as much.

Meg Kashty said...

I thought the Oscars were pretty entertaining this year, in terms of the theatricality of presenting. In terms of the movies themselves, it was sort of bland because there was no real competition - it seemed like it was pretty easy to pick who was going to win.

 


Templates Novo Blogger 2008