Man On The Moon

Welcome to the blog about a day in the life of a film student!

"And That's The Truth, Ruth!"

Monday, January 19, 2009

Top Ten Films - Part 2

Sorry it took so long to update this badboy but here is the second installment to my top 10 favorite films. First a quick recap:

10. Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen)
9. Jurassic Park (1993, Steven Spielberg)
8. Do The Right Thing (1989, Spike Lee)
7. Goodfellas (1990, Martin Scorsese)
6. Clerks (1994, Kevin Smith)

------------------

5. Pulp Fiction (1994, Quintin Tarantino)


Stars: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel

Memorable Quote: "You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France? "

Why I Love This Film: Pulp Fiction is one of the best examples of "smart cinema". I really enjoy the witty dialogue and raw action of this movie. The most enjoyable aspect of this movie is how everything comes together in the end. It has gained great acclaim and achieved "cult" classic status and will remain one of the top viewed films among most movie fans. The all star cast and top notch directing from Tarantino really makes this an amazing film.





4. The Godfather - Part II (1974, Francis Ford Coppola)

Stars: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duval, Diane Keaton

Memorable Quote: "There are many things my father taught me here in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"

Why I Love This Film:
It is really hard to not consider The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather Part II (1974) as my top two favorite films, but I wanted to give some props to the other movies coming up so that's why this one is at #4. I like this movie so much because of how much of an impact it made as a sequel. Most sequels never come close to being as good as the original and in some people's books, this film is even better than the first one. The acting is nothing short of brilliant and every time I see this movie I am glued to it and nothing can distract me for it. The powerful acting with an equally powerful story has helped this movie franchise stand the test of time.

3. Almost Famous (2000, Cameron Crowe)


Stars: Billy Crudup, Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, Jason Lee, Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Memorable Quote: "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool"

Why I Love This Film: Not the most predictable movie to be on a top 10 list, let alone this high but this movie does so many great things. As you may have noticed, this list favors films with great screenplays and this is the best feature of this movie. What also makes this movie for me, and most people, is the great soundtrack accompianed with it. A great mix of rock songs from the time period in the film works so well with the story and helps in bringing it together in the end. A must watch for anyone a fan of writing, music, or movies in general.




2. Back to the Future (1985, Robert Zemeckis)

Stars: Michael J Fox, Christopher Lloyd

Memorable Quote: "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"

Why I Love This Film: Again, not a movie you see at #2 on most people's favorite movies but this movie franchise has been close to my heart since a very young age. My parents tell me the story of how they took me to see Back to the Future Part III when it came out in theaters (when I was a mere age of 3) and I could not keep my eyes away from what I was seeing. Since then, I have seen this movie multiple times and every time the sheer awesomeness of it gets me. I love the little themes and stories that run their way throughout this movie - and the trilogy - and the originality of it. A movie about this subject has rarely been done with such a great response. Comedy, Action, Drama, this film has it all and will continue to stay with me as one of my favorites of all time.

1. The Godfather (1972, Francis Ford Coppola)

Stars: Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Al Pacino, James Cann


Memorable Quote:
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse"


Why I Love This Film
: Maybe it was typical or easy to pick this as my favorite film of all time but the truth is these top 3 move around every day for me and it just so happens I wrote this on a day that caught the Godfather at #1. There have been many things said about this movie and I could go on for hours listing the things that make it so great. The power portrayed through the acting, directing, and editing bring together this amazing piece of work. The character development is fantastic and the barriers this film broke paved the way for so many great movies to come. Without this movie, the film industry would be a very different place and for that I am thankful.




So there you have it. My favorite 10 movies!!

0 comments:

 


Templates Novo Blogger 2008