Man On The Moon

Welcome to the blog about a day in the life of a film student!

"And That's The Truth, Ruth!"

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kicking Things Off

Throughout the course of this blog I will be putting lists of my favorite things about film including actors, directors, soundtracks, ect... To kick it off I figured I would put my top ten favorite films and why I love them. It is a good chance for people to get a sense of my style and what I look for in films. For tonight 10-6 will be shown and will leave everyone in suspense to see 5-1 tomorrow. Feel free to post why you agree/disagree with my choices!!

10.Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen)


Stars: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton

Memorable Quote: "The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life, in terms of my relationships with women"

Why I Love This Film: One of the best written films of all time, Keaton and Allen's chemistry is excellent and keeps you interested in their lives throughout the entire film. Amazing character development and witty dialouge is the most impressive aspect of this film for me. I really enjoy watching how their lives unfold and the unforgetable impact they have on eachother. An interesting spin on your typical Hollywood love story and it's fresh writing is what is helping this film continue to stand the test of time.



9. Jurassic Park (1993, Steven Spielberg)


Stars: Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum

Memorable Quote: "The lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, uh... staggers me"

Why I Love This Film: Steven Spielberg at the top of his game in this film. A simply breathtaking use of special effects truly brought the dinosaurs to life. The theme of science vs man runs prevelent throughout the story and in the end creates a great message to juxtapose the great action sequences and cinematography. The always brilliant John Williams scores the film and created one of the most memorable theme songs in film history. Special effects and the humanizing qualities given to the scientists make this film special and memorable.


8. Do The Right Thing (1989, Spike Lee)

Stars: Spike Lee, Danny Aiello

Memorable Quote: "My people, my people, what can I say, say what I can. I saw it but didn't believe it, I didn't believe what I saw. Are we gonna live together, together are we gonna live?"

Why I Love This Film: Simply one of the best social and political films of the last 20 years. A great look at the daily life of residents of the Brooklyn neighbour hood Bed Stuy on a hot summer day. Racial tensions reach an all time high for this community and Lee's visual style brilliantly displays the power strugle happening in the community. A great use of camera work and visual techniques sets new standards for filmmaking and Lee's message does not go unheard. An extreemly underrated and unnoticed film, Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing is a must see for people interested in seeing a story told from all sides.


7. Goodfellas (1990, Martin Scorsese)

Stars: Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci

Memorable Quote: "As far as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster"

Why I Love This Film: A fantastic display of acting, storytelling, and editing makes this one of the most completley well done films I have ever seen. I believe that this is Martin Scorsese's best work and his filmmaking skills set the standard for anyone to follow. Goodfellas follows the mob film blueprint showcasing the rise and fall of the mobster but what sets this one apart from others is the amazing human quality Scorsese adds to his characters. Coupled with a fantastic dialouge and an outstanding supporting cast, Goodfellas stands out as a fantastic film not just for fans of mafia movies.



6. Clerks (1994, Kevin Smith)

Stars: Jeff Anderson, Brian O'Halloran, Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith

Memorable Quote: "People say crazy shit during sex. One time I called this girl "Mom."

Why I Love This Film: This will not be the last time Kevin Smith or any of his genius films will be mentioned in this blog. Quite possibly the single greatest screenplay every written, Kevin Smith brings out the raw feelings of two every day clerks at a convience store. The story of the production of this film is a true inspiration for any aspiring fiilmmakers. Vulgar, yet endeering, Kevin Smith begins his cult classic status with this witty, truthful, and heart warming story of Randal Graves and Dante Hicks and the first appearance of Jay and Silent Bob. This film wouldn't appear on most film students top 10 list but it really is their loss because this film or filmmaker do not get the credit it deserves for achieving this great cult status. Clerks along with the rest of the films associated with Smith's "View Askewniverse" are classics and must sees for anyone interested in the true human condition.



There are the bottom five films in my top 10. Check back tomrorow for the top five movies!!

0 comments:

 


Templates Novo Blogger 2008